My name is Annette and my husband's name is Hector. We are raising triplets!!! They're names are Delilah Marie, Hector Manuel Jr., and Melody Grace!!! Our triplets were born at 24 weeks 1 day and we are very blessed to say that we have all three of them at home with us! We've had a very long and bumpy road, but God has brought us through! Miracles do happen! Thank you for reading!


Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Re-starting my Blog (End of my pregnancy and my delivery)

Hi everyone! Okay, so I am re-starting my blog after 5 months of not updating it... yes 5 months!! So much has happened that I will probably leave a lot of details out, but please feel free to ask anything you'd like. In my last blog, I left off at almost 20 weeks pregnant with my triplets.

Well, at my 20 week high risk appointment, my cervix had shortened to 2.7cm and I was officially put on bed rest. My preterm labor continued and my cervix continued to shorten to 2cm and then eventually to .7cm at 22 weeks. At this point, my high risk doctor told me that I would most likely deliver my triplets any minute now and that he was very sorry. He admitted me cause I practically begged him to... I didn't want to loose hope. At 22 weeks gestation I was admitted to Winnie Palmer Hospital. My doctor had told me that I would have to get to 24 weeks gestation in order for the NICU to take my babies and for me to get the steroid shots. During my stay at Winnie Palmer I had ultrasound scans every day to check for my babies' heartbeats and a high risk doctor would come see me. I was anxious to get to 24 weeks, but I was aware that 24 weeks just gave my triplets a 40-50% chance of life. I had so much faith and prayed that my babies would make it out just fine whenever they decided to come out. At 23 weeks 5 days I began having heavy duty contractions. Two high risk residents came to check my cervix and apparently it was not dilated and still closed. My high risk doctor happened to be out of town in a conference for the weekend and he had the residents come take a look at me while he was gone. The next two days I was in unbearable pain and taking more pills than I ever imagined taking in a lifetime. At 24 weeks midnight, I was given my first steroid shot. I was so excited cause I knew that this would help my babies have a better chance at living. Steroid shots are supposed to mature the babies' lungs. In order for the steroid shots to work to their max, you have to have 2 steroid shots usually 24 hours apart and wait 24 hours after the last shot in order for it to work to its full potential. I was in so much pain and labor was really no fun at all. The bad part in this whole situation is that while I was having heavy duty contractions, the monitor was not picking them up... so the nurses weren't very concerned. At 24 weeks and 1 day, almost 10 hours after my 2nd shot, I gave up and could not handle the pain. I begged a nurse to please call a resident to come check my cervix because I just knew I was in labor. A resident came in about half hour later to check my cervix. At this point I could not bare the pain. Right before the resident checked me, I felt like I had to push!!! When she checked me, I was 7cm dilated!!!! She could feel my amniotic sac bulging out and Baby A's head. I was in shock and very scared. I knew what their chances of living were and I wanted it all to be just a bad dream. The nurses rushed me to labor and delivery where another resident decided to check me. He was in disbelief that I went from a closed cervix to 7cm dilated in 48 hours. When he checked me, I was definitely 7cm dilated and he broke my water accidentally. As they tried to put the spinal anesthesia on, I had to be laying on my side because they did not want Baby A to come out. They tried the spinal 8 times before they got it in the right spot. The anesthesiologist told me that if the eight time didn't work they would have to put general anesthesia for c-section. Finally it worked! At all this, my husband was working and he didn't make it on time to be there with me. Thankfully my mother had come to visit me and was there for all the commotion as well as my grandmother. There were countless nurses and doctors in the operating room... it was very scary. They took out Baby B first, then Baby C, and finally Baby A. They took Baby A out last because she was in my birth canal and they wanted to take out the easiest ones before they reached down into my birth canal to take her out. They rushed my babies to the NICU and that's where our REAL journey begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment