My name is Annette and my husband's name is Hector. We are raising triplets!!! They're names are Delilah Marie, Hector Manuel Jr., and Melody Grace!!! Our triplets were born at 24 weeks 1 day and we are very blessed to say that we have all three of them at home with us! We've had a very long and bumpy road, but God has brought us through! Miracles do happen! Thank you for reading!


Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 4, 2010

My 24 weeker Triplets and the first 72 hours in the NICU


My husband arrived just as they were taking the babies to the NICU. He was able to walk with the nurses as they admitted our babies. I only got to see one of my babies before they took them out. They were just too fragile to waste time.

Babies' weights and lengths:

Delilah Marie (Baby B in the womb, Baby A in birth order)- 1lb 7oz 11 3/4in long
Hector Manuel (Baby C in the womb, Baby B in birth order)- 1lb 10oz 12 1/2in long
Melody Grace (Baby A in womb, Baby C in birth order)- 1lb 6oz 12in long



Melody Grace
Delilah Marie
Hector Manuel
Yes, my babies were tiny... but they were sure mighty! :)

All of my babies had to be intubated right after birth and a ventilator was breathing for them. They were all of course in incubators. The doctor explained to me that the first 24 hours are the most critical and they had a 40% chance to live. All three babies were doing fairly well considering their gestational age and how small they were. They made it pass their 48 hours and were doing okay. I was recovering from my c-section but I wanted to spend every minute I could with them. Their skin was red and they were so tiny!

At 3 days old, Delilah was having some lung issues, one of her lungs deflated and she had to get a chest tube. It was very hard seeing my tiny baby girl with a chest tube along with a high frequency ventilator, also called the oscillator. She was on it for 2 days and back then I had no idea the gravity of the situation. Delilah was fighting for her life while she was given 500 breaths per minute by what I now call "the monster" (the high frequency). Her tiny body would vibrate due to the intensity of this machine and my mind still did not want to accept what was going on. Thankfully, 2 days later she was off "the monster" and the doctor took out her chest tube. She was doing a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment